Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Barce-ALONE-a

So, Donna and Val continue to be thwarted...



They are currently spending the night in London, and won't actually be joining me in Barcelona until tomorrow at some point. (Although I suspect they'll continue to be F'd.)

They at least get to spend the night in a hotel in London.  So...that's something.  Right?

"Hello, room service?  Yes, I'd like a new trip, please."


Remember that time Donna planned an entire trip, and I was the only one who got to actually participate?  

Well, I took full advantage of my day alone in Barcelona:  The City That Got Me Drunk.™

I've always wondered what it would feel like to travel internationally alone. Would I perish?  Would I be bored?  And most importantly, would I see any matador ass?  I searched for answers to my many questions...



...but I found none.

I started wandering the streets of Barcelona, mourning the loss of my sister.  It's these moments of solitude that make you wonder:  What does life even mean?

I searched everywhere for the key to my heart...

...but came up empty.

Barcelona is a city thriving...



and yet here I was, perishing.



I tried knocking for opportunity...


...but that didn't quite work out...


So, as I continued wandering through the maze of dark alleyways that make up this city...


...alone..

...I couldn't get rid of the sense of melancholy filled my heart--NO! my SOUL!  If anything it seemed to be weighing on me more and more, getting louder and louder and louder.  My god, it was deafening.

And then I realized what it was...


...luckily, the soundtrack of depression stopped...



...and I was able to snap back into reality.

To celebrate,  I took myself out to dinner and ate delicious tapas!


Well, if you insist!

...and then took myself out for drinks to a bar called Atame...


...which greeted me with this mess just inside the front door:



That, coupled with this...



...led me to worry that perhaps I had made a huge mistake.

However, it's a Tuesday night, I'm not sure where else to go, and, most importantly--they have KIWI MOJITOS on the menu.  So how bad could it be?

There's even fresh mint on the bar...


...which the 11 year old bartender used to make my delicious drink.  And also the next three-to-five thousand delicious drinks.

Things started to get a little hazy when the Spanish version of TEQUILA started.


That's about the time the French couple next to me went insane, dancing and singing along. Upon seeing me laugh at their antics, they struck up a conversation, and assured me that these were the best mojitos in the land.  I wasn't prepared to disagree.

I also wasn't prepared for when one of the bartenders came up to us, counted to three in Spanish, and apparently instructed his co-worker to give us three shots of caramel-flavored booze.


It filled me with caramel-flavored happiness. It also filled me with happiness to learn that this couple met five years ago at my favorite bar in Paris--Freedj, which was featured on Stabbey Road Trip!

So after all of this, I learned a very important lesson about myself tonight.

Who needs a sister when there is caramel flavored booze...



....or HAM FLAVORED PRINGLES?!

Who's Donna?

4 comments:

  1. I always end up doing most things on my own, Looks like you are coping ok. It can be fun being on your own, but try not to get murdered ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Jeff, you make friends (and get drunk) wherever you go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear that su hermana has landed, and I look forward to the next, fantastic update!

    ReplyDelete